Two people critically ill after drinking toxic herbal tea
Health officials in San Francisco say the drink contained the plant-based toxin aconite, causing life-threatening heart rhythms
Two people have been hospitalised in San Francisco after drinking tea from the same Chinatown herbalist.
The citys public health department said on Friday that the tea leaves bought at Sun Wing Wo Trading Company contained the plant-based toxin aconite.
Health officials said a man in his 50s and a woman in her 30s became critically ill within an hour of drinking the tea. The first incident occurred in February and the second was in early March but both remained in hospital.
They both became weak after drinking the tea and then had life-threatening abnormal heart rhythms that required resuscitation and intensive care.
Aconite, also known as monkshood, helmet flower or wolfsbane, is used in Asian herbal medicines. But it must be processed properly to be safe.
Health officials are working to find the original source of the tea leaves. They have warned people not to drink tea from Sun Wing Wo.
Read more: http://www.theguardian.com/us